- 15:55 | In the world Iran has no military presence in Syria, says Iran UN envoy
The Iranian ambassador to the United Nations has dismissed claims about Iran’s military presence in Syria and the shipment of arms by the Islamic Republic to the Arab country.
Source: Press TV
- 15:33 | In the world Neymar to play last game for Santos
He will feature in Santos game against Flamengo on Sunday for the Brazilian national league, at the Mané Garrincha stadium in Brasília.
- 15:03 | In the world Zidane to be Real Madrid sporting director
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez is poised to confirm the appointment of Zinedine Zidane as the club’s new sporting director when he gains re-election this summer.
- 14:37 | Armenia Armenian military expert on Lavrov-Mammadyarov meeting
“The latest meeting between the Foreign Ministers of Russia and Azerbaijan was a standard meeting and Sergey Lavrov’s statement should be viewed in the context of Madrid Principles,” David Jamalyan told reporters.
- 13:25 | Armenia Armenian chess players at World Championships
Olympic champions GMs Sergei Movsesian, Vladimir Akopian, Gabriel Sargissian and IM Ashot Nadanian will take part in the World Rapid and Blitz Championships that will take place on June 6-10 in Khanty-Mansiysk.
- 12:02 | Region OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs discuss holding summit later this year
They traveled to the region May 23-24 to continue their efforts to help the sides find a peaceful resolution to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
- 11:44 | Region Bako Sahakyan: Without Hayastan All-Armenian Fund, it would be impossible to stand firmly on way of stable development
Artsakh Republic President Bako Sahakyan met with a group of members of the Hayastan All-Armenian Fund Board of Trustees.
Source: presidential press service
- 11:26 | Armenia Lawyers to go on token strike
“The aim of the action is to show the authorities and the public that there are serious problems in the judicial system,” lawyer Hayk Alumyan said.
- 10:13 | In the world Inter fire Stramaccioni, hire Mazzarri
The announcement was made on the official Nerazzurri website, confirming a two-year contract.
Source: Football Italia
- 10:04 | Armenia Former employee of correctional facility returns medal
The reason behind this move is that in 2012, Sargis was forced to leave his job by head of the Correction Facility Hamlet Khlghatyan.
- 09:19 | In the world Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
Police officer Mohammed Rasheed says seven children were also injured Saturday when the faulty gas cylinder exploded on the outskirts of the city of Gujrat.
- 09:13 | In the world Syria opposition unity talks face specter of collapse
After two days of meetings in Istanbul, senior coalition players were in discussions late into the night after veteran liberal opposition figure Michel Kilo rejected a deal by Syrian businessman Mustafa al-Sabbagh to admit some members of Kilo's bloc to the coalition.
- 09:08 | In the world Guatemalan ex-president extradited to U.S. on money-laundering charges
"See you soon Guatemala, this is a kidnapping," local media quoted Portillo as saying at the airport.
- 09:02 | In the world Truck caused bridge collapse, police say
An initial investigation shows the 1,111 foot-long bridge collapsed when a tractor-trailer hauling an oversized load hit one of the bridge's overhead tresses, known as the "superstructure.”
- 08:54 | In the world MI5 'approached London attack suspect'
MI5 asked Woolwich murder suspect Michael Adebolajo if he wanted to work for them about six months before the killing.
- 08:49 | In the world Dancer 'lied' in Berlusconi sex case
Karima El-Mahroug said she had "made up" details about erotic parties held at his villa while he was still PM.
- 08:42 | Armenia Air temperature to go down in northern regions
In Yerevan, transitory rain is possible after midday.
- 22:00 | In the world Sweden reinforcing police in riot-hit Stockholm
Reinforcements of specially trained police are being sent to Stockholm after five nights of unprecedented rioting in the capital's suburbs.
- 21:40 | In the world Obama nods to drones in Naval academy Speech
President Obama gave a nod to his newly articulated drone policy as he addressed the graduating class of the U.S. Naval Academy on Friday.
Source: ABC news
- 21:25 | In the world Russia pledges 1.7 bln euros for Serbian south stream
“The Russian side undertakes to finance that section,” Putin said after a meeting with his Serbian counterpart Tomislav Nikolic in the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi.
- 21:10 | In the world Syria opposition seeks to unify as momentum for talks builds
Syria's fractious opposition scrambled to agree a new leadership on Friday in a bid to present a coherent front at peace talks which the US and Russia are convening to seek an end to more than two years of civil war.
- 21:00 | In the world Wash. patrol chief: Oversize load on truck hit I-5 bridge north of Seattle, caused collapse
The truck made it off the bridge and the driver remained at the scene and cooperated with investigators.
Source: The Washington Post
- 20:48 | In the world UN rapporteur Emmerson hails 'historic' Obama drone vow
The lawyer leading a UN drone inquiry has praised a speech by US President Barack Obama as a "significant step towards increased transparency".
- 20:38 | In the world Suspected kashmiri rebels kill indian soldiers
Four Indian army soldiers and a suspected rebel were killed in fighting in the Indian portion of Kashmir on Friday, officials said.
Source: The Wall Street Journal
- 20:30 | In the world 'We loved you so much, you didn't deserve this'
Devastated family of murdered soldier Lee Rigby pay emotional tribute to him.
Pictures: The Daily Mail
- 20:21 | In the world Putin, Obama to Meet in June, September – Kremlin
The first meeting will be in Lough Erne on the sidelines of the G8 Summit and then Obama’s visit to Russia.
- 20:15 | Region On Turkey's proposed alcohol restrictions
A look at legislation passed in Turkey's parliament early Friday that would ban all alcohol advertising and tighten restrictions on the sale of such beverages.
Source: ABC news
- 20:07 | In the world Explosion and gunfire shake Kabul
Afghan Channel One TV quoted police as saying a group of assailants had entered the Directorate of the Afghan Public Protection Force.
- 20:00 | In the world Kerry says Israelis, Palestinians must make tough decisions
Israeli and Palestinian leaders must decide soon on whether to revive long-dormant peace negotiations to end their decades-old conflict.
- 19:01 | In the world Michel Platini renews call for 'sport police'
Uefa president Michel Platini has renewed his call for the establishment of a European sports police force to deal with match-fixing, hooliganism and doping.
Source: BBC Sport
- 18:34 | Armenia Serzh Sargsyan meets with OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
The parties discussed issues related to the current stage of Karabakh peace process and future steps.
Source: presidential press service
- 18:19 | Armenia UAE ambassador presents credentials to President Serzh Sargsyan
Serzh Sargsyan and Saif Mohammed Abid al-Zaabi discussed ways of developing and furthering bilateral relations and cooperation in different fields of activity.
Source: presidential press service
- 17:38 | In the world Milan fans say 'no thanks to Seedorf'
A group of AC Milan fans were caught hanging up a banner outside the club's headquarters early on Friday to express their opposition to the prospect of former player Clarence Seedorf taking over the team.
Source: Gazzetta del Sud
- 16:51 | Armenia Andranik Matikozyan wins Metropolitan Chess Tournament
IM Andranik Matikozyan (Armenia) scored 7.5 points out of 10 to solely take first prize at the 27th Metropolitan Chess Tournament in Los Angeles.
- 15:34 | Armenia Serzh Sargsyan meets with President of European Civil Aviation Conference
President Sargsyan said Armenia appreciates the role of the European Civil Aviation Conference in developing and providing security to global and European aviation.
Source: presidential press service
- 15:10 | Armenia Armen Martirosyan: Russia punishes Armenia by increasing gas price
“Under such social conditions, the increase in gas price may cause social riot,” said the deputy chairman of Heritage party.
- 14:33 | Armenia Armenian parliament to host hearings on measures to eliminate hailstorm consequences
On May 23, the Armenian government approved measures to eliminate consequences of the May 12 hailstorm that caused damage to 46 communities in Armavir province.
- 14:12 | Armenia Levon Zurabyan: Authorities concealed information about increase in gas price
“On May 13, the Public Services Regulatory Commission received a bid on the increase in price for natural gas, with a contract stipulating that the new gas price entered into force on April 1,” the ANC member said.
- 12:50 | In the world Magnitude 8.2 earthquake strikes Russian Far East
The epicentre of the quake was located at a depth of 385 miles in the Sea of Okhotsk, 244 miles west of the nearest city, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky.
- 12:40 | Armenia Worsening social situation contributes to emigration, Orinats Yerkir MP says
“The people in Armenia live in tough social conditions, and the increase in gas price and hail damage added to it,” Hovhannes Margaryan said.
- 12:14 | Armenia Social riot is brewing in Armenia, says Heritage MP
With the crisis deepening, it is inevitable that there will be a social riot and a revolution in Armenia, head of Heritage parliamentary faction Ruben Hakobyan told a parliamentary briefing.
- 11:11 | Armenia Republican MP against government program?
Although RPA voted for the government program, Republican MP Nahapet Gevorgyan, despite registering for the parliament session, did not participate in the voting.
- 10:12 | Armenia Governors of Kotayk, Syunik and Tavush to be dismissed in mid-June
Those to be dismissed include Kotayk governor Kovalenko Shahgaldyan, Syunik governor Suren Khachatryan and Tavush governor Armen Ghularyan.
Source: Haykakan Zhamanak
- 09:48 | Armenia Pan-Homenetmen Games to take place in Armenia
This year, the 9th Pan Homenetmen Games will be held in Yerevan, from July 27 to August 3.
- 09:12 | In the world Second jewel theft strikes Cannes film festival
A necklace reportedly worth 1.9m euros (£1.6m) has been stolen during the Cannes film festival, in the second such theft to hit this year's event.
- 09:04 | In the world Syrian opposition scrambles to save credibility ahead of peace talks
The Syrian opposition in exile met on Thursday to decide whether to attend a peace conference that the United States and Russia see as a crucial path to ending two years of civil war.
- 09:00 | In the world 5.7-magnitude earthquake shakes Northern California
There have been eight aftershocks ranging from 2.6-to-3.5-magnitude.
- 08:55 | In the world Bridge collapses in Washington state
An Interstate 5 bridge over the Skagit River in Washington has collapsed, a spokesman for the Washington State Patrol said.
- 08:50 | In the world UK names soldier killed in London
The soldier killed in an attack in London has been named as Drummer Lee Rigby of the 2nd Battalion the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.
- 08:47 | In the world Barack Obama defends 'just war' using drones
President Barack Obama has defended the use of drones in a "just war" of self-defence against deadly militants and a campaign that had made America safer.
- 08:41 | Armenia Air temperature will go up
It will be partly cloudy after midday, but no precipitation is expected yet.
- 22:53 | Region The Times: Story about loss of votes given for Russia at Eurovision puts Azerbaijan in very awkward situation
The foreign ministers of Russia and Azerbaijan have temporarily postponed the "less urgent problems - like, the question of the border war between Azerbaijan and Armenia smoldering for "22-years," and have stressed that they will try to work together to resolve the crisis that had occurred during the "Eurovision," the British newspaper Times writes.
Source: The Times
- 22:00 | In the world UK Police: 2 more arrests linked to hacking death of british soldier in London
Source: ABC news
- 21:50 | In the world Boy Scouts of America set to vote on gay youth ban
The vote by more than 1,400 delegates comes amid intense lobbying by gay-rights activists and members of conservative organizations.
- 21:35 | In the world Uefa: New drug-testing plans and 10-match bans for racism
Uefa will retrospectively study 900 doping samples given since 2008 as it attempts to combat use of performance-enhancing drugs in European football.
Today, the Ministry of Culture hosted the first press conference dedicated to the Golden Apricot” 10th Jubilee International Film Festival. The joint press conference was presided by the Minister of Culture Hasmik Poghosyan, VivaCell-MTS General Manager Ralph Yirikian, the Director of the Golden Apricot International Film Festival Harutyun Khachatryan, the Festival Program Director Mikayel Stamboltsyan and Artistic Director Sousanna Harutyounyan. The “Golden ...
On May 23, Artsakh Republic President Bako Sahakyan met with Honored Art Worker of Armenia, famous film producer Vigen Chaldranyan. Issues related to culture, particularly cinematography development in Artsakh were discussed during the meeting. Both sides underlined that the development of this field requires serious preparatory work with young people, creation of possibilities for them to receive professional training and education in Armenia and in other countries. Primate of ...
On May 21 the Arno Babajanyan Concert Hall hosted a press conference devoted to the release of the “Anthology of Armenian Chamber Music (Part 1: Works for Cello and Piano)”, a new project by “Ars Lunga” duo. Speakers at the press conference were Honored Artist of the Republic of Armenia, cellist of the “Ars Lunga” duo and the co-founder of the “Anthology of Armenian Chamber Music” project Aram Talalyan, pianist of the “Ars Lunga” ...
88 museums from Armenia and Artsakh have joined the Museum Night this year, which will give a possibility to reestablish contacts with the people, director of the Museum of Russian Art, representative of the Armenian Ministry of Culture Anush Ter-Minasyan told today’s news conference, adding that all museums belong to the people as they keep the people’s heritage. She hailed the theme of this year’s Museum Night - Museum as Non-formal Education. ...
The second semi-final of the 2013 Eurovision Song Contest took place last night in the Malmö Arena, Sweden. Representatives of 10 countries, including Dorians rock band representing Armenia, entered the final. Gor Sujyan, the Armenian representative, was the sixth qualifier to give a statement. On his expectations, he told the press: "Actually we are surprised - of course we had expectations, but in the end the only thing that matters is that we did it!" He was ...
Dorians Fly album is available for free download on the group's official web site - http://www.dorians.am/en/music/. The decision to make Fly album free for downloading was made taking into account the growing interest to the band's activity both in Armenia and abroad. Dorians will represent Armenia in Eurovision song contest second semi-final on May 16.
Black Sabbath guitar hero Tony Iommi will be glued to the telly on Thursday – to see if his song makes it through to the final of the Eurovision Song Contest, Birmingham Mail reports. The 65-year-old rock legend dusted off an old ballad titled Lonely Planet when Armenian broadcasting bosses came knocking at the door of his Lapworth home. Thankful for all the charity work Tony has done in their country, where he has spearheaded the rebuilding of a music school destroyed by ...
Legendary British rock musician, Black Sabbath guitarist Toni Iommi recorded a video asking his European fans to vote for Armenian Dorians rock band in the semi-final of Eurovision song contest on May 16. The video is placed on Dorians official site on YouTube. The video is accompanied by the following comment on the musician's official site - www.iommi.com: “The first part of our world tour is over and we are heading home, hurrah! Before we head out again with ...
The rich collection of old-print manuscripts at the Matenadaran after Mashtots has been enriched with a unique exemplar of the first Armenian language printed Bible. The Bible by Voskan Yerevantsi, a volume of unique value, was printed in 1666 in Amsterdam. This stunning sample of book art has for years been part of a private collection. Thanks to the donation by VivaCell-MTS General Manager Ralph Yirikian the volume is now at home and can add brilliancy to the exhibition. The ...