- 14:45 | Armenia Yerevan hospital hit by fire
Armenia’s Emergency Ministry received a call yesterday about a fire on the second floor of Yerevan’s Kanaker-Zeytun Medical Center.
- 13:25 | Armenia Parliament to hold special session on Dec. 10
The special session agenda comprises 21 bills, including the bill on amendments to the law on state pensions and the bill on payment of government officials.
- 11:56 | Armenia Armenia currently 4th at World Chess Team Championship
Armenian men’s chess team beat the Netherlands 3.5-0.5 in round 8 of the World Chess Team Championship in Antalya, raising its points to 10 and going up to 4th position.
- 11:55 | Armenia President attends opening of Hyatt Place Yerevan Hotel
The President toured the newly opened hotel compound built in accordance with the standards of the top-quality international brand, familiarized with the investments, jobs and quality of the services.
Source: presidential press service
- 11:37 | Armenia All highways open to traffic in Armenia
Roads are being cleared from snow and ice to ensure safety of traffic movement.
Source: Transport Ministry
- 11:09 | Region Armenian, Azeri Foreign Ministers agree to continue talks
Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian met with his Azeri counterpart Elmar Mammadyarov in Kiev.
- 10:13 | Armenia Armavia begins paying salary arrears
One of the company’s former engineers told Zhoghovurd’s correspondent that thus far they have only received salaries for last January and are hopeful to receive their salaries in late December.
- 08:58 | In the world Beached whales dead in Florida
Ten whales have died and as many as 30 more are stranded after a pod beached off Florida's Everglades National Park.
- 08:47 | In the world Female army members allegedly pressured into prostitution by officers at Ft. Hood
A number of female Army privates at Fort Hood military base in Texas were allegedly pressured to prostitute themselves to superior officers, with the senior-most officer being the one in charge of sexual assault prevention for the unit.
- 08:45 | In the world Russian, US top diplomats discuss Syria conference preparation
Russia’s Sergei Lavrov and America’s John Kerry also discussed the disposal of Syrian chemical weapons.
Source: RIA Novosti
- 08:40 | In the world Mexico: Stolen radioactive material found
The stolen vehicle was carrying delicate cargo -- a radioactive element used for medical purposes that also can be used to make a so-called dirty bomb.
- 08:35 | In the world Ukraine unrest: Former presidents back mass protests
In a statement, Leonid Kravchuk, Leonid Kuchma and Viktor Yushchenko expressed "solidarity" with peaceful rallies.
- 08:28 | In the world Protest-hit Thailand marks king's birthday
Thailand is marking the 86th birthday of King Bhumibol Adulyadej, amid a truce after days of violent demonstrations in the capital Bangkok.
- 21:00 | In the world Could Facebook trigger eating disorders? Teenage girls who spend hours looking at posted photos 'develop poor body image'
It is not the overall time spent on the social network that is the problem, but the amount of time spent looking at pictures, doctors said.
Source: The Daily Mail
- 20:45 | In the world Bird-flu case in Hong Kong appears isolated
Preliminary tests on 17 people who had close contact with an Indonesian worker infected with Hong Kong's first confirmed case of H7N9 bird flu yielded negative results, the city's health authorities said Wednesday.
Source: The Wall Street Journal
- 20:37 | In the world Morgan Freeman portrait: The world's most realistic finger painting?
In what is being heralded as 'the most realistic finger painting ever', British artist Kyle Lambert completed the picture in over 200 hours, using 285,000 ‘brush strokes’ with his fingertips.
Video: The Independent
- 20:30 | In the world Hezbollah commander killed outside home in Lebanon
Gunmen assassinated a senior Hezbollah commander outside his home Wednesday in southern Beirut, a major breach of the Shiite militant group's security as it struggles to maintain multiple fronts while it fights alongside President Bashar Assad's forces in Syria.
Source: Associated Press
- 20:22 | In the world Syria's chemical weapons to be shipped in delicate US-Danish operation
Hazardous cargo of nerve agents and sarin could set sail at the beginning of 2014, but final destination is still unknown.
Source: The Guardian
- 20:14 | In the world François Hollande admits he was treated for 'benign' enlarged prostate
Hollande acknowledges having surgery for “benign” swollen prostate two weeks before entering the presidential race.
Source: The Telegraph
- 20:08 | In the world Palestinian peace envoy urges Kerry to "save talks" with Israel
The top Palestinian peace negotiator urged U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Wednesday to salvage American-brokered Israeli-Palestinian peace talks that both sides say are faltering.
- 20:00 | In the world Ukraine unrest: PM warns against 'escalating tensions'
He warned protesters that anybody found guilty of violating the constitution and laws would be punished.
- 18:49 | Region Iranian ambassador to Baku: Azerbaijani MPs in Istanbul discuss issues concerning collapse in Iran
"Azerbaijani deputies in Istanbul discussed issues concerning collapse in Iran,” Mohsen Pak Ayeen stated.
Source: Eslami Sesi
- 18:13 | Armenia Armenia to face Netherlands in World Chess Team Championship round 8
The 8th round matches of the World Chess Team Championship will be held today in Antalya.
- 18:10 | Armenia Ex-Ombudsperson criticizes Armenia’s government system
“Armenia cannot achieve success unless we learn to respect our state and society,” ex-Ombudsperson of Armenia Larisa Alaverdyan told reporters.
- 14:37 | Armenia Protest against accumulative pension system joined by opposition factions
Members of Armenian National Congress, ARFD, Prosperous Armenia and Heritage parliamentary factions joined today the protest against the introduction of a compulsory accumulative pension system outside the Armenian parliament.
- 14:36 | Armenia Armenian Education Minister to visit Slovakia
A delegation led by Armenian Education and Science Minister Armen Ashotyan will pay an official visit to Slovakia on December 4-6.
Source: Education Ministry
- 14:10 | In the world Karabakh freedom celebrated on Capitol Hill
Republic of Nagorno Karabakh Parliament Speaker Ashot Ghulian headlined a Congressional celebration of 22 years of Artsakh's independence, featuring remarks by House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Ed Royce (R-CA) and other leading U.S. legislators.
- 14:02 | Region No ceasefire violation fixed during OSCE monitoring of contact line
On December 4, the OSCE Mission conducted a planned monitoring of the Line of Contact between the armed forces of Nagorno-Karabakh and Azerbaijan in the Hadrut direction.
Source: NKR MFA
- 13:19 | Armenia Nazaryan and Sargsyan hope to get a new position
Although former chief of Yerevan police Nerses Nazaryan realized during the recent deputy police chiefs’ reshuffle that his return to the system is delayed for an indefinite time, he is still optimistic about it.
- 12:44 | Armenia Another elite wedding in Ojakh Restaurant
The wedding of daughter of Ara Babloyan, Republican MP, chairman of the NA Standing Committee on Health Care, will take place in Ojakh Restaurant on December 14.
Source: Chorrord Inknishkhanutyun
- 12:18 | Armenia MFA bought brandies of USD 7.4 thousand in November
Brands of the brandies suggest that they were purchased as gifts for guests: these were mainly vintage brandies such as 30-year-old Dvin, 20-year-old Nairi and 10-year-old Akhtamar.
- 11:43 | Armenia Republican MP to vote against law on accumulative pension system
Member of Republican Party of Armenia (RPA) parliamentary faction, retired general Seyran Saroyan told Zhoghovurd daily that he will vote against the law on accumulative pension system.
- 11:11 | Armenia Armenia beats Turkey in World Chess Team Championship round 7
Armenian team currently has 8 points and is sharing 4th-5th position with the Netherlands, whom it will face in round 8 scheduled for Wednesday.
- 10:33 | Armenia Lyudmila Sargsyan applies to State Register for registration of new party
MP, former chairwoman of Social Democrat Hunchakian Party Lyudmila Sargsyan has applied to the State Register for registration of a new party whose founding convention is scheduled for January 7, 2014.
- 09:03 | In the world UK investigators threaten Guardian editor with terrorism charges over Snowden’s leaks
British police have launched an investigation into whether the Guardian committed “potential” terrorism offenses by publishing the incriminating NSA and GCHQ documents leaked earlier this year by Edward Snowden.
- 08:57 | In the world US urges Ukraine to heed calls for European future
US Secretary of State John Kerry on Tuesday called on Ukraine to “listen to the voices of its people” amid mass protests in the former Soviet republic over its government’s sudden rejection of a long-awaited trade deal with the European Union.
Source: RIA Novosti
- 08:52 | In the world Yasser Arafat's widow challenges French finding of 'natural cause' death
"I'm convinced there is something wrong, and he did not die from a natural death," Suha Arafat said at a news conference in Paris.
- 08:46 | In the world Tensions ease in Thailand as police remove barriers
The Thai government said it had negotiated a truce with protesters for the next several days to honor the birthday of the country's deeply revered King.
- 08:41 | In the world US army halts shipments from Afghanistan via Pakistan
Pentagon spokesman Mark Wright said this would affect outgoing shipments of equipment and other goods from US units on Afghan soil.
- 08:36 | In the world Saudis behind blasts at Iran embassy, Hezbollah says
The head of the Lebanese Shia militant group Hezbollah has said Saudi Arabia was behind last month's bombings outside the Iranian embassy in Beirut.
- 22:00 | In the world Thai protesters claim 'victory' as they occupy government headquarters
Police remove barricades and step aside to let hundreds of protesters into Government House in effort to stop violence that has consumed the Thai capital in recent days.
Source: The Telegraph
- 21:47 | In the world Ukraine protest swells as opposition loses vote
Ukrainian Prime Minister Mykola Azarov said Tuesday the government was "open to dialogue" with the opposition demanding his ouster, but that if the offer is met with "a fist, I say frankly -- we have enough forces."
- 21:40 | In the world Mixing alcohol and energy drinks increases the risk of poisoning, experts warn
Jäger bombs are a favourite among many party goers, but new research suggests they could put people at greater risk of alcohol poisoning.
Source: The Daily Mail
- 21:32 | In the world Russian President Vladimir Putin accuses militants of trying to overthrow Ukraine's government
Protesters blockaded the main government building, seeking to force President Viktor Yanukovych from office with a general strike after hundreds of thousands demonstrated against his decision to abandon the pact, which was scheduled to be signed last week.
Source: The Independent
- 21:25 | In the world Attack by Boko Haram Islamists in Nigeria leaves many dead, say witnesses
Hundreds of militants lay seige to military bases and destroy buildings in city of Maiduguri, leading to 24-hour curfew.
Source: The Guardian
- 21:16 | In the world Guardian: We have published 1 pct of Snowden leak
The editor of the Guardian said Tuesday that his newspaper has published just 1 percent of the material it received from former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden, and denied that the paper had placed lives or national security at risk.
Source: Associated Press
- 21:10 | In the world Thai police remove barricades to police and PM offices
Thai protesters entered the government's headquarters after police removed barricades from outside both Government House and the police office.
- 21:00 | In the world Limitations of nuclear deal temper Iranians' enthusiasm
It was a flourishing packing business in Iran's historic city of Isfahan, but the last two years of harsh economic sanctions brought the family enterprise to its knees.
- 20:24 | Region Chairman of Iranian Polo Federation: The whole world knows that Azerbaijan has never had sport game called Polo
“The sport game Polo has a 3000 years old history which has been developed in Iran,” Hamzeh Ilhani Zadeh noted.
- 19:14 | Region Archeological findings barbarously destroyed in Azerbaijan:‘‘Zerkalo’’ compares NKR’s attitude towards its cultural heritage
Ancient settlements that are found on the Azerbaijani side of the border with Karabakh are destroyed by the lootings of the locals and rains as the Azerbaijani authorities do not allocate funds needed to save the ancient settlements.
- 18:43 | Armenia Armenia, Russia discuss military cooperation
Armenian Defense Minister Seyran Ohanyan received Russian First Deputy Defense Minister Arkady Bakhin.
Source: Defense Ministry
- 18:13 | Armenia Armenian FM to attend OSCE Ministerial Council meeting
Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian will be in Ukraine on a visit on December 4-6 for participation in the OSCE Ministerial Council meeting in the capital Kiev.
Source: RA MFA
- 16:52 | Armenia Armenian-Russian inter-regional expo opens in Yerevan
Armenian-Russian inter-regional exhibition of industrial innovations opened today in Yerevan as part of the third Armenian-Russian Interregional Forum “Russia. Armenia. Customs Union.”
- 16:14 | Armenia Armenia managed to maintain relations with EU and Russia – expert
“We have clear expectations after Russian President Vladimir Putin’s visit,” political scientist Hrant Melik-Shahnazaryan told reporters.
- 15:24 | Armenia Armenian parliament speaker to visit India
As part of his visit, Mr Abrahamyan will meet the Indian President, the speaker of the House of the People and the Foreign Minister.
Source: RA NA
11:14 25/04/2012 » Daily press
Samvel Alexanyan to sue Zhoghovurd
In an article published on April 20, Zhoghovurd said that parliamentary candidate Samvel Alexanyan and head of Malatia-Sebastia administrative district David Ohanyan bought votes at school No. 190. Opposition candidate Nikol Pashinyan demanded electoral commission No. 7 annul Alexanyan’s registration.
Alexanyan phoned Zhoghovurd’s editorial office to say he is going to sue the paper for defamation.
Zhoghovurd looks forward to being sued.
In case you have found a mistake in the text, please send a message to the editor by selecting the mistake and pressing Ctrl-Enter.
14:40 05/12/2013 » Society
Armenia’s Emergency Ministry received a call yesterday about a fire on the second floor of Yerevan’s Kanaker-Zeytun Medical Center. Fire-fighting brigades and the MES crisis management team were sent to the scene. According to the Ministry, an air conditioner, the dropped ceiling and a window frame were damaged in one of the rooms in the traumatology and orthopedy unit.
14:15 05/12/2013 » Society
A series of attacks at Yemen's defence ministry have left at least 20 people dead and 37 injured, the BBC reported, citing officials. A suicide car bomb blew up at the gates of the complex in Sanaa's Bab al-Yaman district, at the entrance to the old city, and a gunbattle followed with suspected militants inside. Officials said the situation was under control and most of the gunmen dead. Yemeni security forces are fighting regional rebels and al-Qaeda, while combating lawlessness ...
13:57 05/12/2013 » Miscellaneous
An ancient skeleton, thought to date back to Roman Britain, has been discovered in a sewer trench, the BBC reported. Contractors from Yorkshire Water were installing sewers in Norton near Malton when they made the discovery. Chris Pole, of Northern Archaeological Associates, said the site was formerly a Roman cemetery. The "remarkably intact" skeleton has been removed for tests to determine its age, sex, and, if possible, a cause of death. Two new sewers were ...
13:40 05/12/2013 » Politics
Joint statement by Heads of Delegation of OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chair countries and Foreign Ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia On the occasion of the OSCE Ministerial Council Meeting in Kyiv, the Heads of Delegation of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chair countries (Foreign Minister of the Russian Federation Sergei Lavrov, Minister for European Affairs of France Thierry Repentin, Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs Victoria Nuland) and the Foreign Minister of ...