- 09:21 | In the world US Senator Lamar Alexander aide held on child porn charge
Jesse Ryan Loskarn was taken into custody by US Postal Inspection Service officials in Washington DC for possession and distribution of the unspecified illicit material.
- 09:16 | In the world Hunt for mysterious interpreter who faked sign language at Mandela memorial
South Africa is searching for a sign language interpreter who failed to translate what world leaders said at the memorial of anti-apartheid leader Nelson Mandela on Tuesday.
- 09:09 | In the world Leaders, rock stars farewell Mandela
In near silence, dozens of family members passed by as military honor guards dressed in white flanked the coffin on each end.
- 09:02 | In the world Turkey shuts border to Syria
The announcement came shortly after the United States and Britain suspended non-lethal aid to the Syrian opposition.
- 08:57 | In the world Syrian refugees in Lebanon hit by winter storm
The UN says it is "extremely concerned" for Syrian refugees in Lebanon as a fierce winter storm bears down.
- 08:51 | In the world Ukraine violence: US considers sanctions
The US state department has said it is considering all options, including sanctions, towards Ukraine as the political crisis there continues.
- 20:31 | Region Iranian embassy in Baku calls on Azerbaijani MPs to learn lessons from Saddam Hussein’s destiny
The Iranian embassy in Baku has criticized the anti-Iranian expression of the Azerbaijani MP.
- 19:58 | Region Head of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE Samed Seyidov is accused of embezzling $ 15 million and of having offshore accounts
The head of the Azerbaijani delegation to PACE Samed Seyidov is accused of embezzling $ 15 million.
- 18:15 | Armenia Armenian chess players to participate in European Championships
GMs Gabriel Sargissian, Tigran L. Petrosian, Zaven Andriasian, Karen Grigoryan and several other Armenian chess players will participate in the European Rapid and Blitz Chess Championships on December 13-15, 2013 in Warsaw.
- 17:50 | Armenia Serzh Sargsyan will not meet with Turkish FM Davutoglu in Yerevan
Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan is not scheduled to meet with Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu in Yerevan, Armenian President’s spokesman Arman Saghatelyan has said on Twitter.
- 17:31 | Region Davutoglu: Turkey has always attached great importance to normalization of ties with Armenia
Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu says that Ankara is ready to take any action that would lead to the establishment of a steady peace in the South Caucasus.
Source: Haber Aktuel
- 17:01 | Armenia Armenian Prosecutor General ready to open criminal case based on Ombudsman’s report
Armenian Prosecutor General Gevorg Kostanyan has responded to Armenian Ombudsman Karen Andreasyan’s special report on the right to a fair judicial inquiry.
Source: Prosecutor General’s Office
- 16:07 | Armenia Snowstorm expected in Armenia
Snow is expected in Armenia this evening as well as on December 12 and 13, wind up to 15-20 mph is possible in spots, snowstorm is expected, most roads will be icy, with low visibility.
- 15:48 | Armenia Latvian Ambassador presents credentials to Armenian President
The President congratulated Ambassador Gavele on her appointment, wished success and expressed hope that during her tenure in office she will do her best to use her professional abilities and experience to further relations between Armenia and Latvia.
Source: presidential press service
- 14:13 | Armenia ‘Only international recognition of NKR could sober up Azerbaijan’
Giro Manoyan says that in addition to the negotiations, we should work in two directions simultaneously: try to fix the situation and secure international recognition of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic.
- 13:35 | Armenia Manoyan has no expectations from Davutoglu’s visit
“I have no expectations from Davutoglu’s Yerevan visit because this is not a visit to Yerevan, but rather a participation in a meeting taking place in Yerevan,” Giro Manoyan told reporters.
- 12:43 | Armenia Snow expected today in Yerevan
Snow is expected in most regions of Armenia on December 11, 12, 13 and 14.
- 10:35 | Armenia Doctors do not recommend Gorik Hakobyan to travel by plane
In all probability, the National Security Officers Day will be celebrated on December 20 without Armenian National Security Service head Gorik Hakobyan.
- 10:33 | Armenia General Manvel will return
Manvel Grigoryan is in France, undergoing treatment; he will return to Armenia by December 20.
- 09:10 | In the world Belarusian, Kazakh leaders most trusted of post-Soviet leaders – poll
The leader of Russia was not included in the poll carried out by the All-Russian Public Opinion Research Center, or VTsIOM.
Source: RIA Novosti
- 09:03 | In the world Lost Nevada family of 6 warmed rocks by fire to survive snow for two days
A family of six survived two days in wintry Nevada mountains by starting a fire and then bringing warm rocks into their overturned Jeep, preventing frostbite to the couple and four small children.
- 08:55 | In the world 15 dead after fire tears through market in Shenzhen, China
Fifteen people have been killed and five others injured in a fire early Wednesday at a market in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen.
- 08:51 | In the world French troops in Central African Republic 'to avoid carnage’
President Francois Hollande has defended France's military intervention in the Central African Republic - after two French soldiers were killed in the capital Bangui.
- 08:44 | In the world Mandela's body to lie in state at Union Buildings
Each morning his remains will be transported across the city in a glass casket.
- 21:00 | In the world Israel, others urged to join chemical arms treaty
Israel, Egypt and North Korea should renounce chemical weapons, especially after Syria joined the convention banning them and three other nations plan to do so, the chief of an international watchdog said on Tuesday.
- 20:43 | In the world Pakistani doctor wins $1M to fight child deaths
A Pakistani doctor won a $1 million grant Tuesday to fight early child mortality in a small fishing village in southern Pakistan in a contest financed by an American entrepreneur to find innovative ways to save lives, The Caplow Children's Prize said.
Source: ABC News
- 20:35 | In the world Chemical weapons inspectors in Syria claim Nobel Peace Prize
A group of chemical weapons inspectors are taking the world closer to peace in the middle of a raging war they cannot stop. For their work in Syria and elsewhere, they received the Nobel Peace Prize Tuesday in Norway.
- 20:28 | In the world UN to fly aid supplies to Syria from Iraq
Up to 12 flights will carry food and winter supplies to Syria's mostly Kurdish north-east as cold weather sets in.
Source: The Guardian
- 20:20 | In the world First gay weddings in UK in time for Easter
First same-sex weddings in UK will be on March 29 next year, Coalition announces as Culture Secretary says historic switch is "just another step" in evolution of marriage.
Source: The Telegraph
- 20:13 | In the world World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
U.S. President Barack Obama exhorted the world Tuesday to embrace Nelson Mandela's universal message of peace and justice, electrifying tens of thousands of rain-lashed spectators and prompting a standing ovation by scores of heads of state in a South African stadium.
Source: Associated Press
- 20:06 | In the world General Motors names Mary Barra as new boss
She replaces Daniel Akerson, and is the first woman to run a US carmaker.
- 20:00 | In the world Suicide bomber kills 11 at Shi'ite funeral in Iraq
The bombing took place in Baquba, 65 km (40 miles) from of the capital at a funeral for a group of Shi'ite shepherds who had been killed by unidentified gunmen outside the city.
- 19:35 | Region Iranian president's Special Assistant: Ottoman Turkey is condemned in extermination of millions of Armenians
“Ottoman Turkey is condemned in extermination of millions of Armenians,” has stated the Iranian president's Special Assistant in Ethnic and Minority Affairs Ali Younesi.
- 19:16 | Region Human Rights Club: there is widespread and systematic human rights violation in Azerbaijan
Azerbaijan marks International Human Rights Day, with 142 political prisoners, and they must be released, the statement of the Human Rights Club read, issued on the occasion of World Human Rights Day.
- 19:05 | Region U.S.OSCE MG co-chairman James Warlick on requirements in reaching progress in Karabakh conflict settlement
Recent talks between the presidents in Vienna and the foreign ministers in Kyiv have shown that the sides genuinely want to move beyond the current stalemate, concerning the Karabakh conflict.
- 18:32 | Region European Commissioner Füle: Azerbaijan has a lot to do in areas such as human rights and corruption eradication
EU calls on Azerbaijan to respect its international commitments in regard of fundamental freedoms and human rights, Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighbourhood Policy Štefan Füle said at the Cooperation Council between Azerbaijan and the European Union in Brussels.
Source: European Commission
- 18:29 | Region Because of ‘‘Eurovision’’, a chief editor is sentenced to 10 years of imprisonment in Azerbaijan
In Baku Court of Grave Crimes the trial over Nijat Aliyev, the editor-in-chief of the site Azadheber.org, and 9 others who are accused of illegal possession of drugs and weapons, inciting inter-relegious strife, calling for the seizure of power and distribution of religious banned literature, has finished.
- 18:25 | Region Global Witness has shed light on dark transactions of SOCAR
Azerbaijan Anonymous, a new report released today by Global Witness, reveals a shadowy figure in the oil industry of Azerbaijan, a key EU energy supplier.
- 16:56 | Region Davutoglu’s Yerevan visit may be prelude for normalization talks
Officials in Ankara have cautioned against high expectations for Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu’s upcoming visit to estranged neighbor Armenia, but indicated that there was a chance for “normalization” to follow in the future.
Source: Hurriyet Daily News
- 14:48 | Armenia Levon Aronian to participate in World Mind Games
Armenian GM Levon Aronian will participate in the rapid, blitz and basque system chess tournaments as part of the World Mind Games on December 12-18, 2013 in Beijing, China.
- 09:12 | In the world Russia in talks on moving chemical weapons from Syria - Deputy FM
Mikhail Bogdanov said that Moscow was examining possible options with the United States and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).
Source: RIA Novosti
- 09:07 | In the world Pentagon under fire over Russian helicopters – report
The United States has bought dozens of Russian military transport helicopters for use in Afghanistan in the past two years, at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars, arguing that Afghan forces are more familiar with the aircraft.
- 09:01 | In the world Ukraine opposition office raided as President Viktor Yanukovych backs talks
Protesters in Ukraine remained defiant and continued their mass demonstration against President Viktor Yanukovych over the country's U-turn away from the European Union Monday, the same day masked men raided the headquarters of the opposition party Monday.
- 08:55 | In the world Testimony: Hundreds still on board as captain left Costa Concordia
In phone calls played in court, Schettino said from a life boat that only a dozen people were still on board the ship, when the coast guard had reported hundreds.
- 08:50 | In the world Central African Republic violence: US to fly in peacekeepers
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has ordered US forces "to begin transporting forces from Burundi to the Central African Republic," his spokesman said in a statement.
- 08:43 | In the world Brazilian ex-president 'murdered'
An investigative commission in Brazil says it has found evidence that the ex-president Juscelino Kubitschek was murdered by the 1970s military regime.
- 21:00 | In the world Contact lens which releases drugs into the eye gives new hope to glaucoma sufferers
A new contact lens which releases drugs slowly into the eye could be the next weapon to treat glaucoma, the world's leading cause of irreversible blindness.
Source: The Daily Mail
- 20:45 | In the world In pictures: South Africa prepares for Nelson Mandela's funeral
South African government announced that preparations for the funeral of former president Nelson Mandela are in full swing. Mandela's body is being prepared by the Military Health Service of the South African National Defense Force to lie in state at the Union Buildings.
Sorce: The Independent
- 20:38 | In the world Nelson Mandela death: 91 world leaders head to South Africa to honor titan
U.S. President Barack Obama left Washington for Johannesburg on Monday morning to attend the memorial service for Mandela, which will take place Tuesday in the city's soccer stadium.
- 20:30 | In the world Elton John voices gay rights concerns at Moscow concert
Despite recent rumours of cancellation, both of Elton John's Russian concerts went ahead on 6 and 7 December, with the singer speaking out against "inhumane and isolating" anti-gay legislation during the show.
Source: The Guardian
- 20:23 | In the world Obama heads to South Africa for Mandela memorial
Obama and his wife, Michelle, boarded Air Force One under cold, rainy skies Monday morning for the long flight: the occasion presented an opportunity for a rare get-together of American presidents.
Source: Associated Press
- 20:15 | In the world Vladimir Putin dissolves Russia's RIA Novosti
Fears of a return to Soviet days of Pravda as Vladimir Putin signs decree ordering creation of new media conglomerate usurping RIA Novosti.
Source: The Telegraph
- 20:07 | In the world Ukraine police dismantle Kiev protest camps
The protesters, who are demanding the government's resignation, had been given until Tuesday to leave. No clashes have been reported.
- 20:00 | In the world Iran, six powers meet on steps to carry out nuclear deal
Iran and six world powers began expert-level talks on Monday to work out nitty gritty details in implementing a landmark accord for Tehran to curb its disputed nuclear program in return for a limited easing of sanctions.
- 18:24 | Armenia Ghazaryan: Armenia will not sever ties with EU markets after joining Customs Union
“BSEC will be an integration bridge between European Union and Customs Union markets,” President of the Union of Manufacturers and Businessmen (Employers) of Armenia Arsen Ghazaryan told reporters.
11:53 12/03/2012 » Law
Kissinger believes Putin is 'Russian Patriot'
"I don't think he's anti-Western,” Kissinger said.
Source: National Journal
In case you have found a mistake in the text, please send a message to the editor by selecting the mistake and pressing Ctrl-Enter.
10:35 12/12/2013 » Culture
Armenian Prime Minister Tigran Sargsyan met with world famous violinist and conductor Pinchas Zukerman, who is in Yerevan to participate in the closing concert of the 14th Yerevan Perspectives International Music Festival, the Armenian government’s press service said. The celebrity artist will act as both conductor and soloist to perform Camerata Salzburg with the orchestra. The distinguished guest thanked the PM and the Armenian Ministry of Culture for support and ...
10:20 12/12/2013 » Society
GlendaleNewsPress.com has published the following letter by Tomik Gharabeigi, titled “Armenian rug would stand as a reminder:” The Armenian Genocide was carried out by the “Young Turk” government of the Ottoman Empire in 1915-16. Rougly 1.5 million Armenians were killed, out of a total of 2.5 million Armenians in the Ottoman Empire. Most Armenians in America are children or grandchildren of the survivors, although there are still many survivors among us. The ...
09:53 12/12/2013 » Politics
Press TV has conducted an interview with Michael Maloof, former Pentagon official, about the Syrian army capturing a key town near the Lebanese border from foreign-sponsored militants fighting against the government. - A lot of people are now seeing these advances, Mr. Maloof, made by the Syrian troops as a major gain because they are saying Syria is getting closer to the aim of closing the Lebanon border to the militants. Do you see this as a strategic achievement for Syria and ...
09:45 12/12/2013 » Analysis
Equations between Tehran and Washington have changed form; a change which has not suited many American radicals including members of the Congress and the Senate and of course the Israeli lobby in this country. From US President Barack Obama’s speech at the UN General Assembly, which did not include the previous threats towards Iran, to his telephone conversation with Hassan Rohani, the Iranian President, which broke a 30 year old taboo. From Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad ...